Somerville Homeless Coalition (SHC)
Job Description for Posting
Description of SHC
The mission of the Somerville Homeless Coalition is to provide homeless and near homeless individuals and families with individualized supportive services and tailored housing solutions with a goal of obtaining and maintaining affordable housing.
SHC currently has a budget of almost $3M with 25 FT and 11 PT staff. Our administrative offices are located at One Davis Square with three other program sites in Somerville. Last year we served over 2,000 people. Our emergency programs include shelters for individuals and families and the largest food pantry in Somerville; our permanent solutions include case management, permanent housing programs, and a prevention program.
The Development Manager will report directly to the Executive Director, staff the Board's Development Committee, and supervise the organization's Development Associate. This is a new position at SHC and we are looking for someone with experience who can direct our development work and who can roll up their sleeves with the rest of us and get the work done.
Overall Development Responsibilities
• In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop, implement, and oversee a comprehensive annual development plan and budget. Data, tracking revenue and non-revenue goals, will be used to monitor progress, fine-tune strategy, and report regularly to the ED, Board of Directors, and senior managers.
• Staff the Event and Development Committees of the Board of Directors.
• Supervise and identify professional development opportunities for the organization's Development Associate. Support her in implementing best practices in not-for-profit communications and marketing, social media, website, Annual Report, publications, volunteers, and fundraising database.
• Keep informed of developments in philanthropy and fund development. Share and implement best practices as appropriate. Assess and optimize departmental systems.
• Work with CFO to ensure strong systems of financial management and compliance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Two to three year's progressive experience in the development field. It is preferred that some experience was spent as a development generalist in a small to medium sized development office.
• Some supervisory experience including setting performance goals and standards and evaluating results.
• Experience and success with events and institutional fundraising/foundation relations.
• Individual giving and prospect research experience strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with communication and marketing best practices including Web 2.0 tools.
• The general skills necessary to succeed in a small office of a mission-driven organization: proven ability to exercise independent initiative and to work effectively with a minimum of supervision, proven ability to "supervise up," evidence of excellent organizational skills, superior written and verbal communication skills, a willingness to work collaboratively, flexibility, curiosity, creativity, and a sense of humor.
• Knowledge/awareness of issues related to homelessness preferred but not expected.
Please mail letter of interest, resume, a relevant writing sample, and salary history in confidence by April 20th:
Development Manager Search
Somerville Homeless Coalition
PO Box 440436
Somerville, MA 02144
The link at the top of each posting should bring you directly to the company website. If it does not, please do a google search using the information in the email to find the company. If you are enrolled in a grant and have a Career Coach, personalized searches are available.
If you have additional comments, please email Bob Reidy at firstname.lastname@example.org
To STOP EMAILS..... Send a blank email to: TCP-JobLeadsemail@example.com
FOUND A JOB........... If you have found employment, please let us know at: www.careerplacejobs.com/forms/placement.htm or call our job placement line at 781-932-5555